It’s 4:30pm on a Friday and you know what that means? It means that the #Fri-Yay hashtag on Instagram is going crazy right about now!
Because I know you are itching to get going on the weekend, I will keep this post brief by starting a list of ten things that are making me extremely joyful right now and giving YOU the assignment to finish the list with YOUR ten things.
The first four items are part of a fun challenge that Beth from The Food Adventuress and I like to do from time to time. The challenge is this: Go to a vintage store and spend nor more than $20 on items that spark joy. I am proud to say that I spent $19.71. Sixteen dollars were spent on the first item while the others took up the slack. The purpose isn’t to spend just to spend, so it’s fun to look at all the goodies and know that it is perfectly okay to put them back on the shelf. My “spark joy” items happened to be functional and lovely.
- A new (old) vintage pyrex baking dish in a rich grey turquoise. It’s a perfect size for cooking food in the toaster oven for the nights when it is just Dennis and me. Today I roasted cherry tomatoes with mozzarella, olive oil, and balsamic.
2. A set of new (old) vintage “falling leaves” plates. Actually, they are saucers and I have repurposed them as snacking dishes. I love anything that has an alpine feel.
3. A new (old) vintage Johnson Brothers plate. Again, a saucer. I stockpile saucers and use them as appetizer dishes for guests. Much prettier than paper plates.
4. A new (old) vintage rectangular dish. This was made in “occupied Japan” and I instantly feel in love with the color and shape. Immediately I knew that it would be perfect to nest a corkscrew.
5. The Simple Show podcast. I am LOVING this podcast right now as it keeps me company while I drive about town. Here is the elevator speech for the podcast: “we each have a curated list of things that make life a delight.” Okay, just go check this out and listen to some of the nicest hosts in the podcast world.
6. Cool breezes. These uncharacteristically cool breezes are making nighttime chill time on the back deck a delight.
7. Macadamia nuts. I just remembered how much I like these fatty nuts and so now they are back as a permanent member in our pantry.
8. Trays. Wooden trays, vintage trays, melamine trays, all the trays. Not only are they great for entertaining, they also are fun to mix up in home décor. Today I pulled the weathered wooden tray from storage and reintroduced it to my back deck. It’s going to be perfect for impromptu evening chill times.
9. Instagram. Okay, I’ll admit it. I’ve been IG-challenged for, like, forever. Are you following nwafoodie? Am I following you?For years I kept everything black and white because (1) it makes food look intriguing and (2) I didn’t understand Instagram and how it was any different from twitter, google+, and facebook. My sister and I are devoting the month of June to understanding Instagram and how to connect with others. So, I’ve been experimenting the last week and it’s been a joy. Follow me so I can follow you!
10. Next month’s family yard sale. This is bringing me an INCREDIBLE amount of joy right now as I am purging, purging, purging, and purging those things that we have collected over the years that no longer have purpose in our lives. I’m excited knowing they will in someone else’s life. Each box that I fill and put aside is giving me a thrill that it is almost hard to explain. It is life-changing.
Okay, that’s my joy.
What’s yours? Share in the comments and let’s encourage each other to keep this going!
Eat well, my friends. Eat well.